Monday 20 February 2012

Well... today wad picc line day.. Everything went smoothly! The nurse actually said that I was the "perfect patient" - I know some of you may find that hard to believe... but it's true lol! :)
 I can honestly say that I didn't expect quite the procedure that it was.. I envisioned it more like an IV and it was quite a bit different.
 When I got there I gowned up... and was prepped for what seemed like a mini surgery. The nurse sterilized the area and made Heather wear a mask and asked that she not touch anything "green" - I was lying in the bed ( as you can see from the pic below... Then she froze my arm and started the insertion (they cut a tiny hole into me to insert it).
They also used a machine/program called "Sherlock" to ensure that the picc line was heading in the right direction - once she knew it was in the right spot it was off to x-ray to have a radiologist have a look. The whole procedure took about an hour and they book the appointment for approximately 4 hours ( in case of complications ).
 I'm doing ok…but I do have to say when the freezing came out it was a little tender (but not enough for meds).
I also attended "Chemo teach" which I felt was unneeded... They basically tell you how to eat and be healthy during Chemo and repeated information I already knew from reading the pamphlets and the info online.
My appointment with the oncologist went well... he thinks that I’ll be more nauseous then most ( not sure why cause I don’t plan on being sick ) but none the less he prescribed three different anti-nausea meds…
 Tomorrow’s the big day (first chemo treatment) 10:30AM – so I am off to bed… g’night all J.

0 comments:

Post a Comment